The Hinckley Journal of Politics is the only undergraduate-run journal of politics in the nation and strives to publish scholarly papers of exceptional caliber, promoting the intellectual talents and understanding of University of Utah undergraduate students in the fields of politics, government, international relations, and humanitarian aid. Contributing articles should address relevant issues by explaining key problems and potential solutions. Papers should adhere to the highest standards of political research and analysis. The Journal covers local, national, and international issues, and embraces diverse political perspectives. With this publication the Hinckley Institute hopes to encourage reader involvement in the world of politics.
Apply for the Editorial Board
Each year a number of students are selected to serve on the Journal’s editorial board. Students help review, debate, and select the submissions to be published in the upcoming year’s publication. This is a great opportunity to both see firsthand how an academic journal works and to participate in the process. The editors will consider students who submit the following:
- A cover letter detailing your:
- Reasons for wanting to participate on the editorial board
- Availability for board meetings during December and January.
- Contact info: name, full address, phone and email
- A current resume that details your education to date, describes your employment history, speaks to your other campus involvement and extracurricular activities, and includes any other information relevant to this application, is no longer than one two-sided page, please.
Students may both submit a paper for consideration in the Journal and serve on the editorial board. Applications should be emailed to the 2013 Journal Co-Editors: Basil Vetas, Tianna Tu, and Molly Wheeler at firstname.lastname@example.org by September 20.
Paper Submission Requirements
Submissions for the Hinckley Journal of Politics should adhere to the following guidelines: Include a cover page listing:
- Title of paper
- Author’s name, full address, phone and email
- Do NOT include the author’s name on any subsequent pages
The body of each submission should:
- Have page numbers, 12 point font, and one-inch margins
- Use APA parenthetical references throughout and include a bibliography
- Be between 10-30 pages
Papers should strictly follow APA format and adhere to the guidelines outlined in APA Style Common Mistakes. Papers addressing political issues from all undergraduate disciplines are welcome. Although, submission of papers with topics relevant to or addressing Utah issues is especially encouraged Papers are being submitted to an academic journal, and are therefore expected to meet the general standards of academic scholarship. Please ensure that the tone, voice, format, references, and other elements employed in your paper are of an academic quality. Submissions not meeting these guidelines may be returned for additional editing or may be rejected. ***ALL papers accepted for publication will be scanned with anti-plagiarism software***
Email your submission to the 2013 Co-Editors—Basil Vetas, Tianna Tu, and Molly Wheeler—at email@example.com by December 20 at 11:59 pm.
Papers that are accepted in the Journal will be read by Utah’s elected and appointed officials, educators, and fellow peers, and will receive a stipend of $100 for being accepted to the Journal.