-Cody Rogers, Intern with the U.S. Mission to NATO, Spring 2011.
Spring 2014 Semester:
Sept. 20, 2013, 4:00 PM
Summer 2014 Semester:
Jan. 10, 2014, 4:00 PM
Fall 2014 Semester:
May 5, 2014, 4:00 PM
The Hinckley Institute runs the University of Utah’s Global Internship Program in partnership with the University of Utah’s Office for Global Engagement. The program is made possible due to the generous funding of the Li Ka Shing Foundation. Through their support, the program has grown into what is considered in U.S. academia the most comprehensive and prestigious international internship program in the world.
Global internships are available for undergraduate and graduate students of all disciplines in more than 40 countries. Academic credit and funding are available for fall, spring, and summer semesters. The Hinckley Institute’s globally-recognized internship program has provided more than 6,000 students with transformative experiences since its establishment in 1965. The goal of the global internship program is to provide students with full-time, global work, cultural immersion, and career development opportunities. The Hinckley Institute sends students to various nonprofits, businesses, governments, think tanks, and NGOs across the globe. We also offer academic credit and funding support to students who set up their own global internships. To view an interactive map of our current host offices, click here.
- The Hinckley Institute of Politics gives priority to undergraduate and graduate students of all majors who have prior global and internship experience; a competitive GPA; and who demonstrate independence, maturity, and responsibility.
- Global internships are offered during the fall, spring, and summer semesters.
- Students can secure up to 12 credit hours.
- Students must register for HNKLY credit and can additionally arrange credit with their respective department during the semester of their internshipÂ (students may intern one semester after graduation, but they must still register for credit).
- Students are primarily responsible for finding their own housing (the intern host office may assist with this process).
- Students must obtain a passport and visa to travel.
The Hinckley Institute offers many funding opportunities to help global internships be financially viable. Students should understand the costs associated with an international internship and budget accordingly. We recommend that students access this Global Internship Calculator to help develop a realistic budget. Students should check the particular countriesÂ currency exchange rateÂ to get a realistic view of expenses.
- Hinckley Global Internship Fund hinckley.utah.edu/intern-specific-scholarships
- Student Fee Learning Abroad Scholarship learningabroad.utah.edu/student/scholarships.php
- Every matriculated University of Utah student is eligible. Selection of scholarship recipients is a random, lottery-based procedure and each student has an equal chance of receiving the scholarship.
- University Scholarship Search financialaid.utah.edu/scholarships/search
- John & Anne Hinckley hinckley.utah.edu/undergraduate-scholarships
- A $2,500 scholarship for sophomore and junior students at the University of Utah whose academic and community pursuits promote active citizenship and public service.
- Matheson Leadership hinckley.utah.edu/undergraduate-scholarships
- Two $4,500 scholarships for students who exhibit outstanding leadership potential.
- Fast WebÂ fastweb.com
- Fast Web is an online resource for paying and preparing for college. Fastweb members are matched to relevant scholarship opportunities completely free of charge.
- Federal Grants financialaid.utah.edu/grants-and-loans/grants.php
- Go Fund Me gofundme.com
- A crowd funding site where social media contacts can fund your cause. The site takes 8% of all donations made.
- Bill Rishel Loan hinckley.utah.edu/undergraduate-scholarships
- Low-interest loan program offered for matriculated University of Utah students through the Hinckley Institute.
- UHEAA uheaa.org
- UHEAA’s mission includes comprehensive outreach and information to assist Utah residents in planning for and financing postsecondary education, and special programs to keep student loans affordable and help borrowers avoid delinquencies and defaults.
- Federal Loans financialaid.utah.edu/grants-and-loans/loans.php