AMOUNT: All costs of 8-10 week Immersion Program
The Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program is a fully-funded overseas language and cultural immersion program for American undergraduate and graduate students. With the goal of broadening the base of Americans studying and mastering critical languages and building relationships between the people of the United States and other countries, CLS provides study opportunities to a diverse range of students from across the United States at every level of language learning. The CLS is a program of the U.S. Department of State.
The CLS Program is part of a U.S. government effort to expand dramatically the number of Americans studying and mastering critical foreign languages. Students of diverse disciplines and majors are encouraged to apply. Participants are expected to continue their language study beyond the scholarship period, and later apply their critical language skills in their future professional careers. Please visit the CLS Institutes page for more information.
- Azerbaijani, Bangla, Hindi, Indonesian, Korean, Punjabi, Turkish, and Urdu: (No prior language study required) Beginning, advanced beginning, intermediate and advanced levels
- Arabic and Persian: (At least one year of prior study) Advanced beginning, intermediate and advanced levels
- Chinese, Japanese, and Russian: (At least two years of prior study) Intermediate and advanced levels
U.S. citizen at the time of application
Be at least 18 years old
Be in acceptable mental and physical health.
Undergraduates must have completed at least one academic year of study (two semesters)
Must receive appropriate visa from their country by deadline
- Contact campus representative Katrina Brown (firstname.lastname@example.org) for on-campus deadline.
- Submit the CLS application.