Nationwide, police brutality opponents argue governments are failing to both hold police accountable for acts of violence and prevent future abuses of power. Salt Lake activists and community groups propose a democratic solution to stop policy misconduct: The Salt Lake Civilian Police Accountability Council (SLCPAC). The proposal would create a board of elected members from the Salt Lake community with broad powers to hold the police department accountable to the community.
Join supporters of the SLCPAC as they discuss the merits of democratic control of policing, describe the obstacles the SLCPAC faces, and respond to audience questions.
- Jennifer Napier-Pearce, Editor, The Salt Lake Tribune (moderator)
- Jade Arter, Utah Against Police Brutality
- Darin Mann, Democratic Socialists of America (DSA)
- Trevor Mortimer, Black Lives Matter
- David Newlin, Freedom Road Socialists Organization
Pizza & Politics
Free and open to the public
*The Hinckley Institute neither supports nor opposes the opinions expressed in this forum.