A Hinckley Global Internship is different than a traditional learning abroad experience because the program is designed to provide students with a practical, full-time working experience in another country. The program expects interns to be independent and mature enough to navigate their own logistics, although the Hinckley Institute is always here to help or offer advice. Below are important things to take into consideration:

web pathway_airplane-06.png


We highly encourage students to wait until their placement is official before booking a ticket.

Be sure to shop around for best prices for your airfare, some websites offer discounted student tickets. 

web pathway-15.png

Passports and Visas


All global interns are required to have a current passport and upload a copy of it to the class Canvas page.

  • If you do not have a passport, make sure you apply for one well before your internship, especially if you will need to send your passport to a consulate for a visa. Average processing times are as follows (fees vary):

    • Routine: 4-6 Weeks

    • Expedited: 3 Weeks

    • Expedited at Agency: 8 Days

  • If you already have a passport, make sure it does not expire 6 months before or 6 months after your internship. If it does, you will need to renew your passport. For questions or concerns, email Global@Hinckley.utah.edu


Consult with the State Department website and your host office to determine if you need a visa. Processing times may vary.

web pathway-16.png


Global interns are responsible for securing their own housing abroad. Housing amenities vary by country and program. The Hinckley Institute can connect you to previous interns for advice on housing abroad.

A recommended approach is to first secure an airbnb for a week, and then acclimate to the area and find local housing opportunities.

web pathway-17.png


Make sure to consult with your physician and or the University of Utah’s travel clinic visit the CDC website to see what vaccinations you should receive prior to your departure. 

web pathway-18.png

Travel Clinics

Both the Salt Lake County Health Department's international travel clinic and University of Utah's travel clinic provide immunizations, travel medications, and country-specific consultations about staying safe and healthy while living abroad. 

web pathway-19.png


The University of Utah requires all students traveling abroad to have travel and health insurance through CISI. This plan costs roughly $40/month and covers travel, health, and evacuation in case of natural disaster or political unrest. 

  • Interns going through the UK’s visa processing agency, BUNAC will not need to purchase CISI insurance. They will purchase insurance through BUNAC.

web pathway-13.png

Tuition and Fees

Students will be registered for a minimum of 3 credit hours and a maximum of 12 either HNKLY 4903 (undergraduate) or HNKLY 6923 (graduate).


In partnership with the University of Utah’s Learning Abroad office, Global intern tuition is $45 per credit hour.


There is a $500 application fee.

web pathway-20.png


Remember to budget for any expenses you may have at home during your time abroad like car payments, loan payments, rent, etc. You can also consult the Global Internship Cost Calculator.

web pathway-21.png


The cost of living and type of currency varies country by country. Look at a currency converter to view the strength of the U.S. dollar abroad. 

web pathway-22.png

State Department

We encourage all interns to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program through the U.S. State Department. Students will receive travel alerts and warnings when they enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. This also allows the U.S. Embassy to contact the student in an emergency.

Academic Requirements

Global interns must complete five assignments during their internship, submit weekly check-ins, and write a policy paper at the culmination of their internship.