APPLICATIONS DUE: May 10, 2013
The Huntsman Seminar in Constitutional Government for Teachers is a five-day (June 17-21, 2013), summer seminar for teachers and administrators sponsored by the Jon and Karen Huntsman Foundation. The primary focus of the seminar is to improve the quality of civic education in Utah schools. Participants gain valuable knowledge and insight into current events in American Politics by learning from, and interacting with, political experts, judges, university faculty, and elected officials. The Huntsman Seminar is a unique opportunity for teachers to gain an in-depth understanding of local, state, and national political issues.
Twenty-five to thirty teachers and administrators from Utah are selected as participants and receive a fellowship worth over $1,000. Participants also may choose either free lodging or a $50 per diem ($250 for the week) to cover expenses. A Huntsman Seminar fellowship provides graduate credit (3 hours of Poli Sci 6990) and all costs for tuition and supplies. Participants are asked to contribute a $100 enrollment fee.
- Kirk L. Jowers, Director of the Hinckley Institute of Politics and partner in the Washington, DC, law firm of Caplin & Drysdale
- Dr. Dan Jones, Professor Emeritus in the University of Utah Political Science Department and Co-owner of Dan Jones & Associates, a Cicero Group Company.
- The American Republic & the U.S. Constitution
- The Obama Administration
- The Two-Party System in the U.S. and Utah
- Quality of Leadership and Representation
- The Role of Ethics Reform, Impact of the Media, and Citizen Engagement
- Politics in the Classroom: The Fine Art of Educating Young Citizens
- Interest Group Politics
- The Right to Vote/Election Reform
- Aftermath of the 2012 Elections
“I study theory and academic perspectives on our political system, but rarely get a practical perspective. Hearing from people who are actually in the political sphere was powerful.”
“Thanks for a needed shot in the arm. Not only have you given me a valuable insight to our country’s political system, you have helped me want to continue the fight to inspire the next generation of citizens.”
“This is a great opportunity for teachers to get a first-hand look from those who know Utah’s political issues inside and out.”
“I can’t even express my gratitude for what I have learned this week and how inspired I am to continue involvement in politics.”
“I was enriched personally and as an educator and I look forward to sharing my excitement with my students.”
“I thought it was fabulous to have both Republicans and Democrats represented at the seminar. I was so impressed with the quality of speakers and the diversity of topics.”
“I am very honored to have had the opportunity to attend this conference. I have learned so much. I do believe I will be a better teacher as well as a more perceptive citizen of this country.”
“I will be suggesting this seminar to all my co-workers and teacher friends. Thank you for all the time and effort that has been put into this amazing program.”