The Hinckley Journal of Politics
The Hinckley Journal of Politics is one of the only undergraduate-run journal of politics in the nation and strives to publish scholarly papers of exceptional caliber from University of Utah undergraduate students in the fields of politics and public policy. Contributing articles should address relevant issues by explaining key problems and potential solutions. Papers should adhere to the highest standards of research and analysis. The Journal covers local, national, and international issues, and embraces diverse political perspectives. With this publication, the Hinckley Institute hopes to encourage reader involvement in the world of politics.
Apply for the Editorial Board
Each year between 12-15 students are selected to serve on the Journal’s editorial board. Students help review, debate, and select the submissions to be published in the upcoming edition. This is a rich opportunity to see firsthand how an academic journal works and to participate in the process. The editors will consider students who submit the following:
- A cover letter detailing your reasons for wanting to participate on the editorial board
- A short description of your writing and or editing experience
- Availability for board meetings during December and January
- Contact information (name, full address, phone number, and email)
- A current resume (no longer than one two-sided page) that details your education and employment history, speaks to your other campus involvement and extracurricular activities, and includes any other information relevant to this application
Students may submit a paper for consideration while also serving on the editorial board.
Applications to serve on the editorial board of the Hinckley Journal for the 2018-2019 journal will be available soon. If you would like to be a co-editor, please complete the application found above.
Submit a Paper
The Hinckley Journal is now accepting submissions and will accept entries until Dec. 27th. You can submit a paper for consideration to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submissions for the Hinckley Journal of Politics should adhere to the following guidelines:
Include a cover page listing:
- Title of paper
- Author’s name, full address, phone number, and email
- Do NOT include the author’s name on any subsequent pages
The body of each submission should:
- Have page numbers, 12 point font, and one-inch margins
- Use APA parenthetical references throughout and include a properly formatted bibliography
- Be between 10-30 pages
Papers should strictly follow APA format. Papers addressing political issues from all undergraduate disciplines are welcome, although submission of papers with topics relevant to or addressing Utah issues is especially encouraged.
Selected papers will be published in an academic journal, and are therefore expected to meet the general standards of academic scholarship. Please ensure that the tone, voice, format, references, and other elements employed in your paper are of an academic quality. Submissions not meeting these guidelines may be returned for additional editing or may be rejected. ***ALL papers accepted for publication will be scanned with antiplagiarism software***
Papers that are accepted in the Journal will be read by Utah’s elected and appointed officials, educators, and fellow peers, and will receive a stipend of $100 for being accepted to the Journal. The top paper will also receive a cash award for the Philo S. Bennett Paper Prize.